One of the most frequently asked questions among people is, “what’s the Wi-Fi password? Sharing WiFi passwords could be the means of anything. Like from saving your guests the trouble of paying great heed as your spell the password to your WiFi to emphasizing on your mind with immense pressure, so you remember the password.
Only if you can remember, that is. However, by the end of this guide, which walks you through different ways how to share WiFi passwords, you would either not be emphasizing your mind or spelling the password. You wouldn’t even be saying or typing anything, only scanning and tapping.
Now, sharing WiFi passwords varies from the operating system to operating system. If you are an iOS user, you can share your WiFi passwords among all iOS devices, including iPhones and iPads. On the contrary, if you are an Android user, you would either use third-party applications or, available in the latest Android versions, the default QR code scanning and sharing functionality.
One simpler way could also be the creation of a guest WiFi network that is exclusive to some WiFi routers, and if you own one, you don’t have to go through all that fuss of catering to every OS respectively. Let’s now get to how to share WiFi password.
How to Share WiFi Password on iOS
There are some prerequisites that need to be done right before we get to share the WiFi password on iOS. Starting from the creation of a contact, you and the person you are sharing the password with both need to be on each other’s contact list, both of your iPhones must be logged in with Apple IDs and must have their personal hotspots turned off.
Now coming to what needs to be switched on, it is the WiFi and Bluetooth of both the iOS devices, which can be iPhones or an iPad. Having ensured all the prerequisites are met, proceed with the following process mentioned below:
- Unlock both the devices and reduce the distance between them.
- If it is you sharing your password, connect your device to the network for which you want to share the password with the other person.
- Ask the partaking person to choose the same WiFi network that you have connected your iOS device with.
- As they do it, you, who is sharing the WiFi password, will get a pop-up stating if you want to share your WiFi password on your iOS device.
- Confirm the action, and the other person will be connected to the same WiFi as you.
This process is exclusive to iOS devices, if you want to share the WiFi password between an iOS and Android device, you will have to leverage the offerings of a third-party application, which will generate you a QR code for the desired network that you then share with the partaking person for a swift connection to your WiFi network.
There are many applications available both in App and Play Stores, you can choose from the most-rated ones, some of them might even be paid, but the free will also do for you.
How to Share WiFi Password on Mac
Like iOS devices, including iPhones and iPads, the process of sharing WiFi passwords between the Mac is more or less the same. Now it is not necessary to keep the WiFI and Bluetooth switched on on both the Mac.
However, what is necessary is the existence of the partaking person’s email or Apple ID in your email or contact list, and that the partaking person is obviously keeping their Mac closer to yours.
Now, ask them to select the same WiFi network that you are connected with.
With that said and done, your Mac will receive a pop-up or message where it will ask you if you want to share the credentials of your WiFi with the other person’s Mac or iOS devices, as you confirm the action, the details will be shared, and they will be connected. Also, Mac actually shows the WiFi credentials to you, unlike the iPhones and iPads where they just connect.
If you want to see them, you will have to manually feed in the user credentials to see the WiFi password and ID, just like you do when you set up your Mac for the first time with a certain WiFi network. Or Just like it happens in Windows (more on this below).
How to Share WiFi Password on Android
Like with iOS devices, sharing WiFi passwords on Androids is way easier. It’s just a few taps and then a swift scan, and your Android device is connected to the desired WiFi network.
However, there are no prerequisites, it is just if you are sharing the WiFi password, your Android device should be connected to the WiFi network you wish to share the password for. Recommended is that you create a guest network as it overtakes privacy.
That said, here is how you can share WiFi passwords on Android:
- Unlock both Android devices and reduce the distance between them.
- Now if it is you sharing the password, head to the ‘settings’ app on your Android > Connections > WiFi settings, and tap on the WiFi network that your device is already connected with.
- Some devices directly generate and pop up a QR Code on a single tap, and some take you to further settings, where you can tap on ‘Share WiFi,’ and then you will have the QR code.
- Once you have the QR code generated, ask the partaking person to scan it on your Android from their smartphone.
- It should connect their Android with your WiFi network.
This process isn’t, however, limited to sharing WiFi passwords between Androids only, you can share the password among all the devices, be it iOS, Android itself, or any other platform bearer. As we mentioned, some Android devices, especially from Samsung, on a single tap on the connected WiFi network, open further settings, where you would see an option ‘QR Code’ in the bottom row.
As you tap on the option, the device will then generate a QR code that you can have scanned from the other person or send to them, only if your device allows so.
How to Share WiFi Password on Windows
It’s where things might get a bit uneasy, but you don’t have to worry. It is because there are some technicalities that you will overcome if you subtly follow the instructions in this guide mentioned below.
Note that Windows doesn’t actually offer you a way of sharing WiFi passwords up front, but, it lets you view the password, so you can dictate or send it to another person, which may raise privacy concerns, and it is better if you change it after they are done using the WiFi.
However, here is how to view the password on Windows, allowing you to share it with the partaking person.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard, and start typing ‘Control Panel,’ you can open it manually as well.
- Once you enter the control panel, spot and click ‘Network and Internet.’
- Click ‘Network and Sharing center’ from there.
- Click on the already connected WiFi network under ‘View Your Active Networks.’
- Click on ‘Wireless Properties’ from the window that appears in response to your previous action.
- There will open another window with two tabs including ‘Connection,’ and ‘Security.’
- Select the Security tab, and there you will see the password listed, but that may be controlled by a user account.
- If you are the user, just feed in the credentials, and it will show you the password.
Now that you know the password, you can share it with the partaking person, and get them connected with your WiFi network. You will have to repeat the process every time you wish to see your WiFi password, i.e., provide the authorized credentials, and only then the Windows will let you access the WiFi password without any privacy.
You can share your WiFi password with the help of a QR code, or the signature iOS functionality, which is exclusive to iOS devices and also the Mac. You can also see your WiFi password on Mac and Windows PC, the only difference is the latter doesn’t just connect with the other device instantly.