Whether you just randomly browse on Google or are an active online shopper, you unknowingly gather cache and cookies on your device, which later messes up with your browser. As a result, you find certain web pages not loading or your device working slowly. So, how to deal with that?
We suggest you clear your browser cache and cookies. If you think doing so will log you out from accounts and remove your saved passwords, stay at ease. We are here with a brief guide on ‘how to clear cookies on Android’ without losing your saved passwords and other important saved stuff.
- You can clear cache and cookies on all top web browsers such as Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox among many others.
- Removing cookies can improve your device’s performance and user experience on the web.
- While removing cookies, you will also be given the option to clear your search history.
Ever since the EU’s (General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) laws came into force, web pages ask for users’ permission to save cookies. Even if you allow them to save yours, there are steps to erase them from your device.
However, know that cookies can be crucial for a good browsing experience and that if you are used to them, your internet experiences would be different without them.
If you are moving forward with the guide, that means you have made up your mind to get rid of them. Let’s begin learning how you can clear cookies on Android devices.
How to Clear Cookies on Android?
Below we have discussed how to clear cookies on Android on different browsers. So whatever you have stored there, let’s clear it out and get you relief from the slowed-down device or sudden device crashing issues.
How to Clear Cookies on Android in Google Chrome?
Since Chrome is the widely used platform for browsing, we have decided to begin with it. Follow the steps below to clear cookies, cache, search history, cached images, and in short, all the unnecessary stuff accumulated in there, making your device lag behind.
- Open Google Chrome on your Android device and tap the three vertical dots on the top right of the page.
- Look for ‘Settings’ in the drop-down menu in front of you – there you will find all the options to personalize your browser.
- In Settings, locate ‘Privacy and Security’ listed under the Basics heading.
- There you will find the ‘Clear Browsing data’ option, tap on it.
- Now check in the box beside ‘Cookies and Site data’ and select from the given time range.
Note: You can check in the other boxes as well to clear all the data in a single go. For more options, go to the ‘Advanced Settings’ section.
- Once you check in the desired options, tap ‘Clear Data’ at the bottom.
And that’s that. You have cleared your cookies, cache, and previous data off your Chrome browser with these easy steps.
How to Clear Cookies on Android in Mozilla Firefox?
While some may disagree, Mozilla Firefox was one of the top browsers at some point and had been rigorously downloaded by millions of users. So much so that even today, it is considered the best alternative to Google Chrome by many loyal users and some other converts. If you are currently using this browser, you can follow the steps below to clear cookies.
- Open the Mozilla Firefox app on your Android device and tap the three vertical dots you will find at the right side bottom of your page.
- Select ‘Settings’ from the drop-down list
- Inside Settings, you will find ‘Delete Browsing Data’, tap on it to get to the main part of the process.
- Here you will see options like cookies, cached images and files, and browsing history and site data with checkboxes.
- Check the ones you want to clear and finally tap ‘Delete Browsing Data’ in the red color.
That’s how you do it on the Mozilla Firefox browser. Move on to the next if you use Microsoft Edge instead.
How to Clear Cookies on Android in Microsoft Edge?
If you have Microsoft Edge as an alternative for Google and Firefox, you still need to clear the background data for swift performance. Below is how you can do it.
- Just like the above, open the app and tap the three dots on the bottom of the page.
- Go to ‘Settings’ and choose ‘Privacy and Security.’
- Swipe down and locate ‘Clear Browsing Data.
- Now you will get the choice to delete the browsing history, cache, cookies & site data, passwords, auto-fill data, and location access data.
- Check the box beside it and hit the Delete button below to delete cookies.
That is how you can clear your Microsoft Edge browser. However, in Edge, you won’t get the option to choose a time range to delete your data. That means whichever option you choose, the browser will delete all the data that has been accumulated since day one of your use.
For those who have basic questions regarding the nature of cookies and their purpose, here are a few common FAQs people wonder about.
What are Cookies?
When you visit a website, it stores a small text file onto your device that contains information regarding your behavior, and what you did on that website. While leaving the website may automatically delete some of them, the rest will be stored on your device for longer.
What’s the purpose of Cookies?
The cookies are stored on your device to make your browsing experience better. Via cookies, your browser remembers your passwords, preferences, and other personal details to display a specific webpage. It reduces the loading time to open each website and helps you easily switch between the websites.
Why is it important to Clear Cookies?
The major downside of cookies is that they store a lot of unnecessary information. For instance, if you visited a website and saw an ad over there, it will also store that ad’s information on your computer. Over time, when such random information that cannot be of help to you, piles up in your browser, it affects your overall device’s performance and browsing speed.
But the good thing is that, if you purchase the product shown in that ad, the advertisers will know that it worked and you will get more relevant ads. Despite that, it’s worth cleaning your browser off cookies.
How to prevent Cookies from Installing on your Android device?
The process is pretty much similar to the one to clear cookies. Follow the steps to learn how you can prevent cookies from downloading on your device.
- Unlock your device, open Google Chrome
- Click on the three vertical dots on the top right side of your screen
- Tap Settings and then select ‘Security and Privacy’ from the side menu
- Now go to the ‘Site Settings’, scroll down, and select ‘Cookies and Site Data
- Check in the ‘Block third-party cookies’ option once you navigate to it
So that is how easy it is to prevent cookies from storing on your device and preventing your device from working smoothly.
Note: Don’t check in the ‘Block all cookie’s option. Even the browser doesn’t recommend doing that. It might stop your website from visiting certain pages, limiting your internet usage.
Regardless of which browser you use, you should clear cookies from time to time. It is recommended to do the deed after long hours of an intense browsing session. If not that, then at least clean it after every two to three days. It will not just keep your device working smoothly but prevent your PC from external threats as well.