Do you wish to change that embarrassing nickname you updated on your Facebook profile years ago? Don’t worry! We know how to change name on Facebook in 2022.
If you have already made up your mind to change that old Facebook profile name, you should know that you won’t be able to change it for the next 60 days. So, whatever name you decide to go for, make sure it’s something you don’t regret later.
Below you will find some hassle-free ways via which you can change your name on Facebook from a cell phone, tablet, or desktop. However, Facebook has specified guidelines for its users to keep in mind while changing their names.
5 Seconds Summary
Assuming you are doing it on your phone, head to the Facebook app, tap the three lines on the right bottom. Select Settings > Personal and Account info > edit your name > Review changes > enter password > Save changes.
Facebook’s Name Changing Rules
While there are no restrictions to use full official names on Facebook, users need to abide by what and what they can not use for the names of their profiles. It will not accept names that have;
- Numbers, symbols, repeating characters, punctuation, or nonstandard capitalization.
- Characters from different languages.
- Any kind of titles, for instance, official, religious, or anything.
- Phrases and words that go against Facebook’s policy
- Names that represent an organization or business (Facebook has a separate setting for pages and business profiles)
As or nicknames, users have the option to change their first or middle name. However, it should be a variation of your official name. For instance, Kate for Katherine. Facebook strictly forbids impersonating other profiles. It will be against Facebook’s community standards.
Note: Facebook profiles are for users not for businesses. If you want to set up your business account, there is a different process for that.
How to Change Name on Facebook?
Coming back to the topic, how to change name on Facebook? Well, it’s quite a simple process. Just grab the device you want to use to do the process and then follow the steps below:
Since cell phones are handy and available to everyone, we will begin with them.
- Open the Facebook app on your phone.
- Tap on the Menu (three lines) at the right corner below.
- Scroll down a bit and press settings.
- Under Account info, find the Personal and Account information option and tap it.
- Tap Name and then type your new name in the given space.
- Tap Review Change to for spellings check or anything.
- To save changes, you will be required to enter your current password.
- Once done, save changes.
- Note that, once you save the changes, there’s no going back until 60 days as Facebook won’t allow you to change your name during that period.
Although changing your name on Facebook via a cell phone is easy, using a desktop will be fine for those who are used to it.
- Open Google, type Facebook on the browser.
- If you have not logged in, it will ask you for your log-in credentials first. Do that and continue going.
- After logging in, click on the icon at the top right beside the notification icon.
- Select Settings and Privacy.
- Click on the General option, hover your pointer on the Edit option in the Name row.
- Make the changes and select Save Changes.
- You will be required to enter your password, once done, save changes.
Note: the above stated method is for changing the display name for your Facebook profile. It won’t change your user name though. Users can have the same profile name, but the username is unique for every Facebook user. However, it is also changeable. Hover your cursor over Username (right below Name) and edit it to whatever you want.
So these were the two methods to change name on Facebook. Be mindful before trying humorous names or anything weird because you have to live with that for two months and trust me, those are a good number of days to get your reputation ruined. Just kidding!
Hope this short guide helped you solve your issue. In case if you still need assistance, you can send a request to Facebook via a form to get help with the name changing thing.