With the increase in digital entertainment, everyone wants to play their favorite music, view photos, and movies with ease. Imagine you are playing your favorite song, and the audio corrupts and gets out of sync, or the video format is not supported by the device. It ruins the whole user experience and hinders the fun of the leisure activity. This is the reason we are here to help you select the best media player for Chromebook.
Media players ensure a great user experience and improve the streaming content making it more enjoyable. A good media player makes it reliable, easy to use, built to present different formats, high-resolution videos, and fast service. Therefore, it is important to know all the good options out there from which you can choose the best one for you.
Well, you have come to the right place to find your answers. Chromebook functions by Google’s Chrome OS, which makes it a bit tricky to use for heavy software and applications. This applies to its options for media players as well. Although new updates of Chromebooks now support an integrated version of the Android application from the Google Play Store, it still makes it hard for people to know which media player is the right one for their Chromebook.
This article will guide you to know how to select the best Media player application, its specifications, pros and cons, and also a comparison amongst them for you to make your decision better and choose the best media player for Chromebook.
To understand the real significance of this article, take a quick look at the table of contents.
- Why would you want to use another media player?
- The Best Media Player For Chromebook
- VLC media player
- Advantages of the VLC Media Player
- Disadvantages of the VLC Media Player
- How to install a VLC media player on your Chromebook
- 2 MX Player
- The Advantages of MX media player
- Disadvantages of the MX media player
- How to Download & Install MX Player on Chromebook
- Xtreme Media Player
- Advantages of Xtreme Media Player
- Disadvantages of Xtreme Media Player
- How to Install Xtreme media Player on Chromebook
- The best way to make a decision
- Customer Reviews of VLC media player for Chromebook
- Customer Reviews of MX media player for Chromebook
- Customer Reviews of Xtreme Media Player for Chromebook
Why would you want to use another media player?
Chromebooks were built to make their user’s jobs easy, but what about their media players? A Chromebook is viewed as better than a laptop because of its promising features like long battery life, lower prices, and efficient security system.
However, Chromebook users have shown some doubts about its media player as it does not support all formats of photos, videos, and subtitles. The features are also restricted in comparison to a desktop player, thus this aspect lowers the user experience a little.
An example of this is finding out that certain MP4 files can’t be played on Chromebooks. A few MP4 files can be played by the default video player of Chromebook, but others can’t be supported by it. This makes the media player inefficient and unreliable in many situations and increases the need for users to look for other media players that are compatible with Chromebooks.
So don’t worry, this article will guide you towards the best media players for Chromebook, and make your life easier.
The Best Media Player For Chromebook
One shouldn’t have to go through the anxious process of downloading a player, and then deleting it to add another as it doesn’t suit them or appeal to their use. Thus, it is crucial to highlight the 3 best media players for Chromebook, and assess their functions in detail.
VLC media player
If you download movies or are an avid fan of media players that offer high volume, then you must have heard of the VLC media player, also known as the VideoLAN Client.
VLC is famous for its diverse support of files and formats without the requirement of additional add-on or inapplication purchases. It is free, and the majority of its users are satisfied with its features and performance.
On top of that, You can use the player as per your need by optimizing the audio and video fitting to the requirement on hand with your chosen device. It is also capable of supporting DivX streaming and MPEG. Moreover, it enables you to play videos while they are still downloading.
- The VLC available for Chromebooks operates on a vast range of video and audio files, along with network streaming such as adaptive screening. This includes the DVD ISOs, similar to the desktop version of the VLC media player.
- VLC can support all forms of formats such as MKV, MP4, AVI, MOV, Ogg, FLAC, TS, M2TS, Wv, and AAC. Every codec is included with no need of downloading them individually.
- VLC for Chromebook also consists of a built-in media library to store audio and video files and enables users to search and choose directly from the device’s folders.
- Multi-track audio and subtitles can also function on VLC. It allows auto-rotation, aspect-ratio changes, and displays to regulate volume, brightness, plus seeking.
- It further comprises a widget for the use of audio control, allows audio headsets controller, cover art, and includes the whole audio media library.
Advantages of the VLC Media Player
To further access the benefits and disadvantages of using VLC on Chromebook, listing down its gains can help you see the complete picture. Here are some advantages of the player below.
- Its user interface is simple and direct, making it easy to use for everyone.
- It consists of the majority of the tools users require in a media player.
- There is less complexity in the functions and features, making them easier to implement.
- It has a feature that allows users to join and create video streaming.
- The media player also has built-in Keyboard shortcuts that make control easier and time-efficient.
- There are specific settings that can be customized according to personal preferences.
- It already includes many codecs, so their installation isn’t required for music and video files.
- It supports an extensive range of file formats and can display files like BluRay, MOV, AVI, ASF, AVI, FLAC, FLV, Fraps, Matroska, MP4, MPJPEG, MPEG-2 (ES, MP3), Ogg, PS, and PVA.
- It works with OS X as well.
- It provides users with an equalizer that can be controlled by the users, allowing them to boost and decrease sound without changing the quality of the audio file.
Disadvantages of the VLC Media Player
Here are a few of the disadvantages that users experience while downloading a VLC media player in a Chromebook.
- If you want to play files, you will have to go to the respective folders and open them directly from there.
- Users cannot employ tags.
- It can be tricky to look for songs in the media library.
- You will not be able to alter the program’s interface.
How to install VLC media player on your Chromebook?
If you have looked at your options, and VLC is the best media player for your Chromebook, then don’t hesitate to download it as this article will tell you the way to install and open the media players too!
The process of downloading the VLC media player in Chromebooks is complicated as there are many versions for you to choose from, such as the extension, OS Chrome specified App, and the Android version of VLC.
Chromebooks are exceptionally lightweight computers as they are built on Chrome OS. They are devices that are designed to operate simple tasks and activities often found on a laptop, such as presenting videos. Thus advanced apps can accelerate the media player experience making it more appealing to users.
The best part is that Chromebooks now have enabled an Android base Play Store which makes many applications available from Chromebook users. The Android versions are updated more often in comparison to the inbuilt media players, so they are recommended to users by many experts.
- Install the Chrome OS version of the VLC media player
VLC can be played on a variety of devices and is considered a cross-platform multimedia player. Thus, its Chrome OS version is available for its users as well.
This is how you can install VLC as an extension in Chrome OS:
- Go to the Chrome Web Store, and search for the VLC extension page on it.
- Take your mouse towards the ‘Add to Chrome’ option and click on it.
- Verify your add-on by clicking again on the ‘Add App’ option.
- Your computer will confirm this action, and then download the extension
- Your VLC media player is installed!
- To access the application extension, go to the page and begin it. Another way to open the extension is to open all the apps in the menu option and search for VLC at the end of the list.
- Install the VLC Application available in Chrome OS
After clicking on the launch option, VLC will complete the process and show a file browser. Use this browser to navigate and click on a video file to initiate it in VLC for Chromebook.
- Install the Android version of VLC on Chromebook
The Android version of VLC is certainly the most advanced of the two versions available and suitable for people who need more features of the media player.
Listed below is the method to install VLC for Android in Chromebooks:
- Go to the Play Store, and open it.
- Choose the Search option and look for the VLC media player app.
- Click on the Install option.
- Verify your click by agreeing to download the app.
- The VLC app will start downloading and be installed, and you can find it on your Chromebook by browsing the menu option.
There you go, your app is installed and running!
2 MX Player
Another brilliant media player that you can add to your option basket for Chromebook is the MX player. This media player is popular for its feature for providing an MP3 player.
Amongst all the Android available applications for Chromebook, this one has great reviews regarding its network streaming and diverse set of format support. This app can give you a variety of features guaranteeing a satisfying user experience. It allows users to control its specifications such as audio and visual options to enhance its appeal.
Currently, MX media player is under the top 10 most downloaded media player app list provided by the data of Google Play. Its rating is at a skyrocketing rate of 4.5 stars out of 5, and more than 7 million people have sampled this rating result: this shows the app’s popularity itself! This app is listed as second due to its similar nature to the VLC media player, and its status is considered the best alternative to the VLC media player for Chromebook.
- It consists of a hardware accelerating feature, which can enable you to see the videos with an accelerated speed due to more space. This can help users move processing data from the CPU to another specialized hardware. Hardware acceleration can be used on additional videos with the aid of the latest HW+ decoder.
- It has a multi-decoder feature and that means all your worries of downloading codec, again and again, are over. The player supports multi-core decoding, operating up to 70% higher than other single-core devices.
- A unique feature of this application is the tool of using the zoom in and out button! You can easily zoom in and out by using your fingers. You can also swipe the screen using touch, and these options are available but have to be turned on to work.
- The app provides simple and basic methods to function that don’t complicate its usage. You can also adjust the subtitles by scrolling forward and backward, moving the subtitles up and down, showing the text that appeared before the current frame and the one following. Lastly, you can also change the text size, which makes this app convenient to use for people with weak eyesight and reading problems.
- A special feature this app has is a KIDS LOCK, that can guarantee the safety and protection of your child from viewing any other content or application you don’t want, and they can’t make calls.
- It’s variety of support for Subtitle formats and tracks includes DVD, DVB, SSA/ASS, SubStation Alpha(.ssa/.ass) with full styling, SAMI(.smi) with Ruby tag support, SubRip(.srt), MicroDVD(.sub), SubViewer2.0(.sub), MPL2(.mpl), Teletext, PJS(.pjs) and WebVTT(.vtt)
The Advantages of MX media player
As you must be reading the features of the MX player, the question regarding its advantages and disadvantages will be on your mind. Let this part fix all of your confusion about ‘if MX is the best media player for Chromebooks for you’.
Feeling assured that you have made the best choice avoids all future anxieties and worries in one’s head. Thus, it is important to know the most about the app before downloading it. This makes the user more comfortable while learning how to use the application.
Listed below are a few advantages of the MX media player
- The application file is small, less than 60MB, which can make it easier for Chromebook to process and work effectively.
- MX is a popular media player with over 500 million installations by users, and this increases the probability that you will love this app.
- It’s a powerful video player with advanced hardware acceleration and subtitle support that works well on your Chromebook or Chrome OS Device.
- No Advertisement interruption and no problem of going through the hassle of buying a premium version. Instead, the ads appear on the top side of the application, making it easier for users to not be irritated by the constant intrusion of advertisements. This can lead to a heightened user experience.
- It is integrated to support all kinds of Subtitle Formats, and render them as well. There is also the addition of altering text as you please.
- You can view all videos in HD resolution without any hindrance or problem.
- The best part is the access to sharing videos online with anyone and video streaming. This brings the media player to a border function that involves socialization and an interactive experience for the user. Imagine, you can just turn on your internet, and share videos to get movies and content from all around the world without having to leave the comfort of your home.
- The process of installation and download is quite easy and simple.
Disadvantages of the MX media player
Like every pro, there is a con to applications and this factor can help you analyze which is the best media player for Chromebook on your end.
Here are a few disadvantages to help you assess MX Player:
- MX is quite famous amongst the younger generation of children, as it has a feature that suits them and is preferred by parents too. The problem is that it is quite expensive, making it a very costly investment for people. There are also games for children designed specifically for their engagement but this only further extends its appeal making it act as an extravagant plaything.
- This application is incompatible with various other devices such as wireless Bluetooth headsets, making it less desirable for particular device users. If you want to use this media player, make sure you purchase a USB wireless connection along with the device.
How to Download & Install MX Player on Chromebook?
After reading the detailed list of benefits and disadvantages of the MX player, it’s time you make a decision. If you find yourself here again this means this was the chosen one!
Now moving on to the next part, the key goal is to learn how to download and install the MX player on Chromebook to gain access to all its features and functions. Important note: this too is an android app, thus it requires a more tricky process to install on your Os Chrome-based device.
Did that make you worry for a second? Well, don’t because this article will explain briefly how to install and use Mx player specifically on Chromebook. The method below is the quickest and easiest way to understand the process, so let’s start right away and not keep you waiting.
- The trick to this installation is knowing your Chrome browser well. The first thing you should do is open the browser, and install an extension named ‘ARC Welder. This extension eases the process of operating Android-based applications on Chromebooks. You don’t even need to go in-depth, just use it directly from chrome.
- Download the ARC Welder extension.
- The extension page will show you the Chrome Web Store, and clicking the blue button which says Add to chrome is the way you can select this extension to be added in Chrome.
- Now, here’s a bit of the tricky part, this extension is a bit different from the others, so when you want to access it after adding it to chrome, you won’t see it’s an icon. The way you can open this extension is by entering chrome://apps and you will be able to see the ARC Welder extension.
- This step is a must, and the only way to access this extension, so do remember to press enter to the text highlighted above.
- You will need these files below to enable your device to accept the MX app, do download them.
- Download MX Player APK
- Download MX Player Pro APK
- After the download, you will have to search for the appropriate file and click the launch button to open the application.
Xtreme Media Player
Xtreme Media Player is another media player that is positioned at the top of the media players on search! It’s the best place to view entertainment of all forms and even live stream your content for others. You can use this player for many different types of multimedia files, devices, and discs!.
- It supports all forms of audio and video files.
- It has an innovative hardware accelerated decoder concerning HD videos.
- It provides Multi-Core decoding which supports multiple processors.
- It does not require conversion
- It supports files with multiple files for audio and videos.
- The video formats include 3GP, ASF, AVI, DIVX, DV, DAT, FLV, GFX, M2P, M2TS, M2V, M4V, MKV, MOV, MP4, MPEG, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, MPG, MPV, MT2S, TS, MTS, MXF, OGM, OGV, PS, QT, RM, RMVB, TS, VOB, WEBM, WM, WMV.
- The audio formats readable to Xtreme Players are WAV, MP3, OGG, OGA FLAC, M4A, MPC, TTA, WV, APE, MOD, SPX, WMA, AC3, MIDI, AAC, MP3, AAC, 3GP, AA, AAX, ACT, AU, DFF, M4P, RAW, WMA, and WEBM
- The supporting subtitle formats are DVD, DVB, SSA, ASS, SMI, SRT, SUB, IDX, MPL, TXT, TEXT, PGX, and VTT,
Advantages of Xtreme Media Player
- The media player supports nearly all the subtitle formats including their encoding.
- You do not need to install any extra files to view this like the Flash Player Plug-ins
- It has a library that includes all content like videos and audio files in one location, arranged aesthetically. You can easily select and browse through your files and open them on the media player.
- The interface gives support for various languages including English, French, Italian, Spanish, and also the design of the media player. You can choose anything you prefer other than the default Dark Sapphire. To increase user’s appeal to the media player, they have given you the privilege to make your interface aesthetically pleasing according to your choice.
- It is free to download initially with many features accessible to use.
- It identifies all the media and stores it in one place
- An option is provided to view and search for the file.
- There is an option to preview the file in the list before selecting it to present.
- It has a file thumbnail to classify local files from outside ones.
- It resumes back on the stop you left, whether it’s audio or a video file.
- Audio playlists can be played on loop.
- The video and audio can be played in the background with minimizing the screen.
Disadvantages of Xtreme Media Player
- The recent update is proving to create problems for many Chromebook users.
- In-app purchases to access some specified features.
- Uncertain update impacts on Chromebook
- Lack of access to the application easily like the other media players on Chromebook
How to Install Xtreme media Player on Chromebook?
The way to Install this media player is similar to the ones listed above. It does not offer a separate extension for Chromebook users, thus you will have to download it through Linux and access this app.
Here are the following simple steps to Install Xtreme Media Player:
- Download the Linux extension on your Chrome browser
- After Installation, click on the add-on button.
- Move on to finding the link to the Xtreme media player
- Download the media player and click the launch option.
And there you go, you will have your media player ready for use. You can also try Google Play Store and Chrome Web Store to find the media player application on your Chromebook!
Now that we have all the detailed information about these apps, what is the next step? Yes, your final decision.
The best way to make a decision
After analyzing all these details that go on and on, the best way for you to regain some composure in your thinking process is a list that allows you to compare your options and a display of feedback by customers on the Google Play Store for you to make your final selection!
In the end, it all boils down to user experience, and the feedback from these media player applications will testify to their performance. The main appeal to every application is rooted in its appeal to customers and praise, which allows more people to want to do the same thing.
Don’t you agree? If someone told you they are using this specific media player and it works best on Chromebooks, I’m sure the first thing you will do is try to get access to it too and try it out!
Right now, this article will assist you in figuring out your best media player for Chromebook.
Customer Reviews of VLC media player for Chromebook
Please note that all these reviews are taken from 2021 to make the data more credible and relevant.
The VLC media player is considered one of the top media players of this modern generation. Masses are using this video player instead of its alternatives. This media player has gained mixed reviews from its customers.
Firstly, customers have praised the media player for its variety of languages for certain files. For example, you can set the language on your own to listen to your favorite videos or while watching movies. Moreover, the creative option for setting bass and volume makes it more exquisite.
However, the VLC media player had backlashes for cropping out the subtitles when the viewer was watching a movie in the fit screen option. Secondly, customers have also mentioned that after continuous hours of watch time, the media player starts lagging.
These reviews suggest that customers did face issues with updates, and suggest some changes but with the high number of 4.3 ratings on Google Play Store, the appeal to the majority of customers is evident.
Customer Reviews of MX media player for Chromebook
Another amazing media player is the MX media player. According to the customers, it is a close competition for the VX media player when it comes to video quality and features. Similarly, the MX media player for Chromebook also had a set of mixed reviews. Some users were satisfied with it and some were not happy.
If you are interested in watching high-quality anime, nothing is better than the MX media player. It works exceptionally well with the graphics and sound quality.
On the other hand, customers didn’t like it for several reasons. For example, users have noticed that after several hours of usage, the machine tends to get extremely hot which is quite rare; maybe the MX media player is consuming too much power. Secondly, the entertainment is hindered by unnecessary ads being played in the middle.
This review suggests that user experience is similar to the VLC media player, with a few problems in the software use.
Customer Reviews of Xtreme Media Player for Chromebook
Another masterpiece from the top 3 categories of media players is the Xtreme Media Player for Chromebook. When users tend to feel that the other top two media players are not working fine, this is their supreme choice.
Xtreme Media Player has gained popularity due to its impeccable interface and the features being offered in the application. Previously, users were not satisfied with the MP3, MP4 formats being offered in the media players. However, that is not the case with Xtreme Media Player.
Moreover, the Xtreme Media Player was also praised for organizing media in the right form. You do not have to wander looking for files, they become easily accessible to you. The ability to create new folders is also provided in this application.
The three applications for media players for Chromebooks are quite similar in providing sufficient user experience. They all have an above 4 rating on Google Play Store, yet VLC has the most people who have given reviews making it the most popular out of these two.
Now that all the feedback consists of mixed reviews as well it all boils down to specifics and easy usage for customers. The main difference between all three is in-app purchases and advertisements. VLC is the only application that provides use without any interruption of ads for free. Secondly, it is also cheaper to use in comparison to other applications that require some investment of money for utilizing specific features.
In the end, it depends on you and what type of media player are you looking for, is it for a kid or yourself, and lastly, if you can afford purchases or desire a free media player with the most to offer? Let’s hope this list of best media player for Chromebook helps you choose the right option.
Listed below are a few things you should keep in mind while choosing the best media player for Chromebook out of these three. Good luck!
- Target Audience of the media player
- Video streaming options or not
- Do you want games included?
- Easiest to access with Chromebook