The popularity of backlit keyboards has definitely risen over the years. Many consider it a matter of the aesthetic choice of the users, but as we have found out, it’s more than just that. There are a few things to consider when looking for the best backlit keyboard online, such as what to consider, what benefits might you reap apart from the cool looks, as well as what are the things to look out for in terms of cons.
What to consider in backlit keyboards
Here are a few things you should consider before buying backlit keyboards.
- The backlit keyboards come in different kinds of backlighting that you can purposefully choose from. There are multiple kinds of RGB lighting alone, including fixed, with a few zones, and completely customizable for you to choose what you want. There are also options for specified functions and utilities that can come in handy.
- There are many keyboards that work under different types of software that you should consider before deciding on one name or product. Many software enables you to use macro keys, customize lighting, select and program the lighting as you go.
- The keys on your keyboard also come in different types of switches, differentiating from rubber and mechanical as the two common ones. The rubber option is way cheaper and easy to use, but they are not as responsive as the mechanical switches. Most professionals in gaming or other writing-intensive jobs, prefer mechanical keyboard switches as their response time and rebound, both are really good. They also let you customize the keycaps, making them even more suited to your functionality.
- Having shortcut function keys in your keyboard saves you a lot of time and brings a smooth efficiency in many basic volume control or play and pause functions. You may have some other very specific multimedia keys in some special keyboards, therefore it’s a viable feature to consider.
- There are many purpose-specific keyboards out there that are made for certain tasks. Usually, professional gamers mostly look for backlit keyboards but they can be very useful for other professional and personal uses as well.
- Depending on your country’s language, the keyboard keys and their overall size may differ. The most common type is the QWERTY keyboard found in the US and many other regions as well. There are some basic models and then some extended versions within that type of keyboard. This difference in total key numbers amounts to what size your keyboard might be.
- Another thing to consider for you is the need for wired or wireless keyboards. If you are a more mobile person, who likes to lounge around and have a bit of movement in the device instead of being bound to your PC, you should go for the wireless keyboard options. And if recharging is something that seems hectic to you, a wired option that does not need any cells or battery to be recharged is the way to go.
- Lastly, there are certain design factors such as the USB option, a wrist rest for your comfort, and overall ergonomic design. Many might not consider this important in their design, but you should definitely consider it when looking for an option, especially if you have long hours to work on that backlit keyboard.
Are there any disadvantages of the device?
The advantages of a backlit keyboard are rigorously discussed. Yes, they are much better looking with the lights, they have a great customization option, they work well in flexible lighting, they are long-lasting, etc. Granted that mostly, these devices of the modern touch are beneficial for the users, be it of any kind. But you should also know of the disadvantages that might affect you, no matter if only a few.
Firstly, they are more costly since they are more efficient and require more for all the features. Secondly, they require more power when plugged in or from the batteries in case of wireless options. So keep these things in mind before you move forward with the idea of backlit keyboards. It’s not just a one-time expense, it might be a little more expensive later on with the energy/power requirement too.
Top 12 suggestions for best backlit keyboards
Moving on to the suggestions, these are our top picks of some of the best backlit keyboards out there.
1. MEETiON RGB LED Backlit Wired Keyboard
If you want the right temperament and the right ergonomic design in the keyboard you are looking for, this MEETiON LED backlit might be the one for you. But don’t make your decision just yet as you have many other options to choose from ahead.
It has 11 multimedia keys to start with, that give you plenty of headstart from your opponents in many matches. The keyboard mouse set that it comes with is titled ‘fully designed for the gamer’ by the manufacturer.
Both the keyboard as well as the mouse are ergonomically designed to fit perfectly in your hand, making for a comfortable experience. It is compatible with All Windows like 2000 / 2003 / XP / Vista / Win7 / Win8 /Win10/Mac OS for gaming pc. The material is scratch and water-resistant that allows you to have your snacks while you play and enjoy your time on the computer. The lighting options are also great. There are four colors, the light changes with DPI and is easily identifiable.
2. Corsair K55 RGB
This Corsair keyboard has 3 Zone RGB backlighting instead of individual keys. It’s the lower-end keyboard among Corsair’s many other products, but it still gives a very good performance. For example, one of the main differences is their keys, this one has high-quality rubber switches unlike other keyboards from Corsair that have mechanical switches.
Other keyboards are also individually lit instead of having specific collective zones such as the K55 does. Instead of dedicated buttons, there is a special volume wheel on the other keyboards that allow users to adjust the exact volume according to preference, which is also missing from this keyboard. The specific zones on the backlit keyboard can be controlled by the Corsair iCUE software. You can control the illumination and different aspects of the keys through the software. It is big enough in size with a wrist rest that makes up for good comfortable support. There are also dedicated macro buttons that you can utilize.
3. Azio Large Print Keyboard
A more traditional-looking keyboard, but Azio is also a great choice among many of these keyboards. It has 3 different color selections in the backlight, red, blue, and purple. The Built-In multimedia and quick-access hotkeys to improve productivity are an intentional thing on the company’s part as they help you navigate more than just gaming with their more open approach to product use.
There are no drivers or recharging required as you are able to plug in and work for as long as you would like. This wired keyboard has a small built-in wrist rest for extra comfort. Low-profile keys with large prints make it a good choice for working, studying, and playing. They also have large print keys on purpose to remove eye strain and bring you a more refined look.
4. Logitech G213 Prodigy
With a 5-Zone RGB Lighting, this Logitech keyboard is a limited but still good nominee in the best backlit keyboard list you might want to check out. The 104-key with mechanical dome switches add a standard of quality to the device that users seem to expect from companies like Logitech.
This one is their flagship keyboard product, meaning it definitely has features you might want to look into. If you are a fan of wrist rests, this keyboard has it and it is just as you would expect. Only barring that it is not detachable, it does everything else you would expect from an ergonomically designed keyboard with a resting place for your wrist and its maximum comfort. It might bring you to look for more space for the keyboard in question, but it becomes worth it when in use.
It has a 16M color spectrum with many lighting modes to choose from. Instead of having individually lit keys, you have 5 different RGB zones that light up the keyboard. Their special switches known as mech-dome are made up of multiple rubber domes behind each key. There are dedicated media keys as well as volume-control buttons separately that are quite useful in a busy environment.
5. Razer BlackWidow Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Razer might have one of the biggest claims in the credibility of these products since their products are awarded best in the country and customers keep coming back for them. This BlackWidow keyboard has a signature mechanical switch for games. You can achieve ‘Ultimate Personalization & Gaming Immersion with Razer Chroma’, as Razer likes to claim.
All the keys are individually lit and they support 16.8 million colors on individually backlit keys instead of limited or specific zones in the keyboard. It has fully programmable macros that help you achieve and fulfill complex commands that you otherwise might not be able to do while working or gaming. The overall design and look of the keyboard are also supported as Razer is known for high-quality performance as well as manufacturing of their products. Since it’s a wired keyboard, it has built-in cable routing options at the top.
6. Logitech K740
This is a rubber-dome 104-key form factor keyboard by Logitech which many consider a masterpiece, and others, slightly overpriced. You, however, can make your own opinion later on. The brand of Logitech is more general and revolves around the professional and business use banner, but their products have many of the features you can use and take advantage of.
First and foremost, for the ergonomic functionality fans, this has a wrist rest, although not detachable, but still functional enough to be largely beneficial for you. With a very professional yet low-profile look, this Logitech keyboard has the look many searches for in gaming accessories. It has only white LED lighting making the choices for you quite low but still works quite well for many people. However, if you are a fan of multiple colors and changes especially, this might be a little disappointing.
It has scissor switches which are usually found in laptops, not either rubber keys or mechanical. They might be a mix between these two or neither of the materials. There are 4 dedicated media buttons on the top that you can use, as well as function keys that you can utilize for other uses.
7. Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Rapidfire Keyboard
The Corsair K70 has a Per key dynamic multi-color RGB backlighting, that offers near unlimited color customization and control on the keyboard. The blistering fast 1.2-millimeter actuation that they claim is enough to move many customers towards their direction. The CHERRY MX Speed mechanical key switches are enough for accurate typing as well as reliability.
CORSAIR iCUE software enables vivid dynamic lighting control, sophisticated macro programming, and full-system lighting synchronization. The 8MB profile storage with hardware macro is something not all keyboards offer you. They also have individual key dynamic multi-color RGB backlighting which means you don’t have to worry about the color or lighting in the background at all
8. Razer Cynosa Chroma
Razer is already a pretty well-known brand in the PC and its accessories market. They are also known for making high-quality products, therefore their high prices. This one is a 104-key, individual RGB lighting enabled, rubber keyboard that is widely used and appreciated by folks. Razer claims that the keys are soft-cushioned, which means they are fast and responsive enough to work well in either scenario.
Despite the general expensive products by Razer, this one is a rather affordable one from its lot. It does not have dedicated media keys, but you can use the functions key combinations to utilize that. The design is well-crafted with a nice texture to the surface that prevents smudges and grease from accumulating while in use. It’s not ergonomic in that it does not come with a wrist rest, but it gives each individual key its backlight so you have that covere
9. FIODIO Membrane Gaming Keyboard
This might be one of the coolest-looking keyboards on the list, as it does a really good job at keeping you comfortable as well as enjoying the game. The anti-fatigue ergonomic design comes with a full numeric keypad that brings you more comfort during marathon gaming sessions. It has 7 backlit color presets to choose from.
The backlight of this gaming keyboard will be turned off when the host enters sleep or standby state, this means you don’t have to worry about it draining out. The anti-ghosting technology allows 26 keys to work simultaneously, which is very revolutionary in terms of gaming
10. SteelSeries Apex 3 RGB Gaming Keyboard
This keyboard by the SteelSeries is very gaming-oriented in that many of the features are put in specifically for gamers, professional or otherwise. There are no dedicated media buttons, which is a clear con but it has a splash and moisture-resistant surface as well as a very durable material that lets the keys stay on their best quality and performance for a very long time. You can also use the F5-F12 keys for the functional needs you might have from the media keys.
The 104-key form factor keyboard has a white theme going on that adds to its overall look and appearance. The backlighting is 5 zone RGB that can be customized through their app called the SteelSeries engine. They have friction-free presses on the keys due to the ‘quick tension’ switch on the keyboard. They have a lot newer products and versions in the market that are bringing them the much-deserved popularity but this product is one of those that set the pace for all SteelSeries products ahead.
These were all our picks for the best backlit keyboard list, make sure you check each of them out individually before deciding which one to settle on.